About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Saturday, 11 October 2008

Consett 5-2 Ryton

Northern League Division 1
Belle Vue, Ashdale Road, Consett.

Consett were on the rebound from two consecutive losses to teams lower down the league, while Ryton were expected to be on a high following their 10-1 thrashing of Guisborough Town in the FA Vase, so this game looked promising.
Consett Manager Kenny Lindoe favours a 3-5-2 formation and they were straight into the attack and had much the better of the first 10 minutes, during which a Jonjo Dickman shot went just wide, while Ryton's only attack of note resulted in a free kick just outside the box which Marc Walton sent just over the crossbar. In the 15th. minute, prolific striker Mattie Moffat beat Graham Liddle to a through ball, turned and shot to put the home side ahead. 1-0
Just a minute later, Carl Piecha, unmarked at the far post, rose to meet a right wing corner kick from Gary Ormston, giving Ben Starford no chance. 2-0
Ryton's Starford was was the busier of the two goalkeepers and a shot from defender Mark Gaffney brought out a great save from him in the 20th. minute. Two minutes later, Moffat did well to hold the ball up before laying it off for Andy Cuthbertson, who blasted it into the goal with his left foot. 3-0
Ryton came more into the game after this, but made no inroads until Steve Jones was upended in the penalty area in time added on at the end of the first half. Marc Walton doesn't normally miss from the spot and this opportunity was no different. Half time 3-1
Ryton began the second half as they had finished the first and 5 minutes in, Steve Shaw sent a lovely ball forward and Jones running from deep, controlled well before facing James Platten in a 1-on-1 and side-footed into the net. 3-2 and game on!
This goal re-awakened Consett, who began to take control again. In the 58th. minute, following another strong attack, the ball fell to Piecha, just inside the box, who had time to pick his spot before hitting a hard left foot shot past Starford. 4-2
Two minutes later, Liddle was adjudged to have handled a Steve Johnson shot and Piecha claimed the right to go for his hat-trick. His shot was not the best however and Starford was able to block it and Jones cleared for a corner kick. A rare Ryton attack in the 63rd. minute resulted in Liddle meeting an Andrew Dobby free kick with his head, but only managing to send the ball against the crossbar. On 80, Moffat, a constant threat to Ryton, was fouled by Ryan Bell, about 25 yards out. Dickman curled his free-kick into the area and Starford, normally very safe in that situation seemed to fumble it and it went into the net over his body. 5-2
Starford redeemed himself somewhat 2 minutes later, making a fine save from Johnson. There followed even more attacks by Consett and in the last 5 minutes, 3 or 4 shots were either saved or blocked on the line. This was a great game for a neutral like me!

Consett: James Platten, Karl Baston, Mark Gaffney, Jonjo Dickman, Carl Piecha, David Pounder (John Clark), Chris Scott (Carl Heiniger), Andrew Cuthbertson (Craig Robson), Mattie Moffat, Steven Johnson, Gary Ormston.
Unused substitutes Paul Curry, Adam Emson.
Ryton: Ben Starford, Ryan Bell, Carl Paterson, Steven Jones, John Parker, Graham Liddle, Dale Burrell, Steven Shaw, Marc Walton, Glenn Reay (Liam McBryde), Andrew Dobby.
Unused substitutes Gareth McKenna, Ross Preston, Craig Marron.

No comments: