About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Saturday, 30 August 2008

30/08/08 Billingham Synthonia 0-2 Ryton

FA Cup Preliminary Round

The first opportunity of the game fell to Ryton in the 1st minute of play. My good mate, Craig Marron fed the ball to Glenn Reay who was clear on goal. His shot however, went wide of the target without testing Synners keeper Peter Keen. Billingham almost opened the scoring after 22 minutes. A Simon Shaw corner from the left was cleared only as far as Michael Jameson, he took a touch before unleashing a shot that had Ryton keeper Ben Starford beaten, but watched agonisingly as it struck the cross-bar. The visitors opened the scoring in the 28th minute. Carl Paterson ran at the heart of the Synthonia defence who backed off, then after a quick 1-2 with Tony Healer, the Ryton man coolly finished with a low left-foot shot past Keen.

Half-time: Synners 0, Ryton 1 and Ryton Manager Barry Fleming, (pictured below) looks as though he has been on the receiving end!
It was Ryton who had the next goal opportunity. A Reay shot in the 53rd minute was blocked, but the ball fell to Healer, his deflected shot had Keen beaten, but struck the upright. Synners then pressed hard, keeping the ball in the final third for a good 5 minute spell, with three corners and numerous long throw-ins from Joel Guy into the box.After withstanding the pressure, the visitors then put Billingham on the back foot. A good attacking move in the 70th minute ended with Steven Shaw shooting wide. Then a speculative Marron free-kick from 30 yards went just over the bar.
Synners had a great chance to equalise in the 76th minute. Michael Cater sent Tyson Masters through on goal with a defence-splitting pass. Masters produced a good shot but Starford matched it to make the save and hold on under pressure from Iley.
Ryton came back at Billingham, and in the 79th minute a long Marron pass was helped on by Reay to Marc Walton, whose shot brought a good save from Keen.
In the 80th minute a Keen clearance was charged down by Healer, the ball spun kindly for the Ryton man who produced a fine finish into the far corner of the net to extend the visitors' lead.
Synthonia tried to salvage something from the game, but couldn't break through a well organised Ryton defence. Jameson created a half chance in the 84th minute, but his shot was straight at Starford. Then in the closing minute a 25-yard Simon Shaw free-kick went well wide, summing up the hosts afternoon. I didn't win the raffle, which sums up mine! :-)

Attendance: 96

The photograph of Craig Marron (below) appears courtesy of Mark Fletcher, whose portfolio of the game can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_fletcher/sets/72157607039196509/

No comments: