About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Wednesday, 19 November 2008

Shildon 4-1 Billingham Town

Northern League Cup 2nd. Round
Dean Street,
My first time at Dean Street for 3 seasons, and, as always, I missed the turn off the A688 and finished up in a different part of Shildon, which I now recognise!
The match programme states it was a First Division fixture, but I assure you it was a League Cup tie.
Billingham Town took an early lead when the Shildon 'keeper, Andrew Spence, advanced too far from his goal and found himself in No-Man's Land when the ball was passed to the unmarked Chris Moore out on the left. Moore had all the time in the world in which to control the ball and strike it hard with his left foot into the back of the net. I didn't win the Golden Goal prize through this! 8 minutes 0-1.
Bell had a shot saved in the 14th minute and Byrne found himself one on one with the keeper in the 22nd minute but the keeper managed to gather the ball easily. Spence had to save a Billingham Town free kick in the 26th minute to prevent the visitors from extending their lead. Shildon pressed forward and Chapman levelled the score in the 30th minute. The referee seemed to have lost control at this stage and he booked Walklate, Bell and Mason within 10 minutes of each other. Byrne finally put Shildon ahead in the 41st minute when he cleverly wrong footed the keeper and scored.
HALF TIME Shildon 2 - 1 Billingham Town
Shildon came out after the break and pushed to extend their lead. Chapman had a good effort in the 48th minute which went just over the bar. Shildon were awarded a penalty in the 50th minute which was one of the first refereeing decisions of the game that had went in their favour. Byrne stepped up to take the penalty and confidently slotted the ball past the Billingham Town keeper to put Shildon 3-1 ahead. The visitors came close in the 55th minute when former Shildon player - Whensley had a shot just wide. Shildon were unlucky in the 65th minute when a goalmouth scramble almost resulted in them getting another goal, Billingham somehow managed to get the ball away. Watson hit the bar in the 68th minute and Byrne missed a golden opportunity in the 73rd minute. Watling played a good ball through to Byrne in the 77th minute, Byrne should have shot straightaway as he was in a good position to score, unfortunately he opted to try to dance through the Billingham Town defence and eventually lost the ball and the attack came to nothing. In the 90th minute the visitors shot just wide of the post and then in same minute Shildon went forward and extended their lead through Bell to 4-1. The final whistle came and although it was by no means a convincing performance, Shildon maintain their unbeaten run and progress in another cup competition.

No comments: