About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Saturday, 15 November 2008

Spennymoor Town 2-1 Stokesley Sports Club

FA Vase 2nd. Round Proper
The Brewery Field

Played on a sticky pitch, Stokesley set their stall out from the off by puting ten men behind the ball and relying on a quick breakaway and Spennymoor were unable to capitalise on some wayward defending by the visitors. Chris Smith twice shot into Dan Johnson in the Stokesley goal, then Craig Ruddy got the better of Leon Poole down the left and his squared pass saw Stokesley skipper Stuart Wise get a block on his shot. Stokesley almost opened the scoring when the powerful Craig Johnson headed across the face of goal and Paul Campbell hooked the ball off the post and into Keith Finch's arms. At the other end Smith headed tamely into Johnson before Karl Richards swung two excellent corners over all to no avail, then curled a free kick into Johnson's arms.
The breakthrough came when a long ball from Neil Radigan saw Moors defender Matt Noble misjudge the bounce and Dale Mendum broke clear to slot the ball past Finch. It was hands to the pump for Spennymoor, rallied by the vocal home support in the second half to turn the game around, it looked over until the introduction of Craig Gott and Chris Lawther for Graham Robinson and Noble respectively. Jamie Clarke and Smith again went close before the Moors eventually restored parity on 77 minutes. Lawther held off two challenges to drill a shot into the bottom corner of the net.
Moors, now with their tails up, went for the winner and eight minutes later Lawther sprinted clear down the right and as he cut inside the area his cross cum shot was bundled into the net by Stuart Wise and Lawther reeled away in delight and there were mass celebrations on the terraces. Moors almost wrapped the win up in stoppage time and were denied a penalty when Richards dribbled into the area and was hauled down, however, the match official waved play on and Moors stood firm to celebrate at the final whistle £1200 richer with this win and go into the hat on Monday for the 3rd Round Draw.

No comments: