About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Saturday, 17 January 2009

Dunston Federation 5-6 Chalfont St. Peter (after extra time)

FA Carlsberg Vase 4th. Round.
Federation Park,
I love the Vase matches! As the other three remaining Northern League sides were all playing further down the country, this was an easy choice and I certainly was not disappointed! The FA Vase Roadshow was in attendance and I was able to have my photograph taken with the trophy.

Summary by Ray Simpson, freelance reporter, in the Northern Echo: Dunston, who hadn’t lost a league or cup game for four months, unexpectedly came a cropper at home to Chalfont St Peter by the best of eleven in an amazing game.
Dunston weren’t helped by a couple of defensive clangers, and the dismissal of midfielder Stephen Brown in the second half. Manager Perry Briggs said: “They had seven chances and scored six, plus their keeper had a blinder.”
After twice going behind early in the game, Dunston levelled through Mark Sheeran and Andy Bulford, and at the start of the second half they seemed to have gained control when Michael Dixon put them in front. However, Dunston keeper Barry Poskett failed to stop a long distance free kick, and Chalfont then went 4-3 up. Dunston’s Steven Brown was dismissed for two yellows, but Steve Preen forced extra time. Chalfont went ahead again, only for David Wells to level from the spot, but Chalfont broke Dunston’s hearts with a late winner.
More comprehensive reports can be found at http://www.thefed.co.uk/ and http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/chalfontstpeterafc01/1stteam/match_report.pl?action=report&id=1173434

No comments: