About Me

My photo
Ryhope, Sunderland, County Durham, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 53 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Saturday 31 January 2009

Jarrow Roofing B.C.A. 1-0 Darlington Railway Athletic

Boldon Community Association Sports Ground,
New Road,
Boldon Colliery,
Co. Durham.

I was all set to go to the Sunderland Nissan v Bedlington Terriers fixture in Division 1, when I heard that the game had been postponed. A quick look at the fixtures suggested I make the relatively short trip to Boldon Colliery, with the Sunderland RCA v Birtley Town fixture as a back-up, just in case.
The game was declared on at 2.00pm and I can't decide whether or not that was a good thing for yours truly! In truth, Roofers took the game to RA straight from the off and it was no surprise when Craig Tate put the Boldon side ahead in the 6th. minute, lofting and curling the ball into the net, just under the bar, from out on the right wing. Some other watchers said it was lucky but I have seen Tate do this before and I think he meant it. The game then settled into a huff-puff affair from both sides, with nothing to distinguish it apart from the antics of Jarrow's Dean Goodwin and RA's Marc Radmore, two big lads who seemed not to like each other very much! The last ten minutes or so saw just about the best of the game, following a couple of RA substitutions, but there was to be no change to the score.
Just think, on a freezing cold day like this was, I could have gone to Asda with the Missus! For the record, Sunderland RCA beat Birtley Town by 3-1 in what has been reported as a decent game.

No comments: