About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Saturday, 4 April 2009

Bedlington Terriers 1-3 Spennymoor Town

Dr. Pit Welfare Park
Park Road
My first match for 8 weeks and I had a smashing day out. My new friend, Consett supporter Kevin Hamilton, wanted to visit Bedlington which was a new ground for him, and very kindly offered to provide transport for me. The windy conditions were never going to contribute to a classic game of football and whichever side used the wind better were going to benefit and Spennymoor did just that.
I have copied this report from the Terriers web site at http://www.bedlingtonterriersfc.co.uk/
Bedlington Terriers were unable to hold off the determined fightback against visitors Spennymoor Town at Welfare Park on Saturday, conceding a half time lead to lose 3-1. The hosts were required to draft in inexperienced stopper Jonathan Taylor, with regulars Kevin Morton and Gareth Powell both unavailable. With Shandran away playing with Conference North strugglers Blyth Spartans and Scott Bell only fit enough for a place on the bench; it meant Lee Ludlow ploughed a lonely trough up front. Spennymoor were given a golden opportunity to take the lead within 11 minutes of kick off when they were awarded a penalty when one of their players was brought down in the area by rookie keeper Taylor. However, the Bedlington keeper was let off the hook by spot kick taker Richards, who blasted a low shot against the base of the post and the danger was cleared. The same visiting player almost atoned for his earlier miss on the quarter-hour mark when he hit a low drive which Taylor dived full stretch to turn around the post for a brilliant save. The strong wind made it difficult conditions in which to play good football, and the most of the half was played out as a midfield battle, littered with overhit long passes and very little quality on show. The game turned in favour of the Terriers inside the final 5 minutes of the half. When Dodsworth chased down a ball over the top, Spennymoor keeper Lawson was forced to come out of goal to deal with the danger. Worried about handling the ball outside his area, he elected to head the ball clear. Unfortunately for him, his clearance landed at the feet of his namesake and Bedlington skipper Alex Lawson. Quick thinking saw him fire back immediately a lob which sailed over the helpless keeper’s head and into the back of the net. A goal out of nothing perhaps, but much to the delight of the Bedlington faithful. In fact, the Terriers were denied a golden opportunity to double their lead in the final minute of the half, when a cross from the left saw a Spennymoor defender blatantly handle the ball above his head. Incredibly, referee Mr Stalker appeared to miss the contact and waved play on. Lee Ludlow earned a caution as a result of his prolonged protests at the non-decision. A second goal at this point could have proven vital to the hosts in terms of holding on for a win or at least a point, but unfortunately the second half performance was not to live up to expectations as Spennymoor came roaring back at their hosts to bowl them over. Richards finally made up for his penalty miss, 7 minutes after a restart when his inswinging corner caught the wind a flew into the far top corner without any other player touching it on its way in. Once the equaliser came, it felt like it was just a matter of time before the next goal came with Bedlington’s stretched squad offering in the way of attacking threat. Striker Jamie Clarke put the visitors ahead with 20 minutes remaining, beating Taylor to a ball over the top to cannily lob the oncoming keeper. A number of substitutions aside, the game looked likely to peter out before Clarke struck again 4 minutes from time to put the result beyond doubt.

No comments: