Northern League Division 2
I paid my second visit in a week to Albany Park to watch a revitalised Washington side just about demoralise the RA team which is very much in a state of flux following managerial and playing staff changes. Washington fielded new signings striker Garry McCartney from Birtley Town, defender Liam Clough and midfielder Andy Howarth, both from Shildon. After a tentative start, McCartney began to link up well with Paul Terrell and began to cause the RA defence a lot of problems with their running on and off the ball. A sweet pass from Howarth found James Riordan on the edge of the penalty area and he took a touch before sending a left foot shot past RA keeper Paul Clements, who was already looking nervous. 13 minutes 1-0.
This setback seemed to awaken RA and they began a series of attacks which the Washington defence was able to deal with but on 17 minutes a lovely cross from the left was met by the head of recently returned Paul Freary. 1-1
On 35 minutes Terrell received the ball on the corner of the penalty area and his right foot shot was only helped into the net by a defender but I think the ball was already over the line. 2-1
Just a minute later, McCartney, following up, was in the right spot when a Terrell shot was only parried by Clements and just about finished the game as a contest. 3-1 Half time.
Both sides made substitutions at half time and the RA began to look interesting for a little while, but, on 52 minutes, Washington substitute John Lydon, going down the right, put a lovely ball into the mixer, leaving Terrell and Clements with a one-on-one situation, which Terrell won, just managing to flick the ball over Clements into goal. 4-1
11 minutes later it was all over when Lydon, in a virtual repeat of the above play made a similar cross, which Terrell jumped over, leaving McCartney to blast a fine shot into the net. 5-1
On this showing, returning RA manager (The One) Dave Woodcock has a lot to do to bring his team into shape. From the other view-point, Washington manager Keith Sheardown must be well pleased with his recent acquisitions.
- el Queso Grande
- Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
- I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!
- ► 2009 (52)
- Washington 5-1 Darlington Railway Athletic
- Birtley Town 2-3 Scarborough Athletic
- Norton & Stockton Ancients 4-1 Whickham
- Wednesday 10/09/08 Crook Town 3-2 Billingham Synth...
- Saturday 06/09/08 Crook Town v Billingham Synthoni...
- Wednesday 03/09/08 Brandon United 0-1 Whitehaven A...
- Tuesday 02/09/08 Ryton 2-1 Billingham Synthonia
- ▼ September (7)