About Me

My photo
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
I am a Northern League supporter without a club to favour and double as a sometime genealogist who has researched his family tree back to the early 1600's, compiling a file of individual relatives totalling just over 3,000 names. I have been happily married to Maureen for 49 years. We have 1 son, 3 daughters, 14 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren, and absolutely no money!

Friday, 5 September 2008

Wednesday 03/09/08 Brandon United 0-1 Whitehaven Amateurs

Northern League Division 2

Two games in two days! Someone up there is smiling on me!

Brandon made the much better start and in the 4th minute Mark O'Dea had a shot on goal which Whitehaven keeper Jack Fryer pushed over the bar. This led to three corners in quick succession as Brandon applied the pressure. After some excellent play in midfield, Afelobi Shekoni had a good opportunity with his head which went over the bar and in the 14th minute a good run from Paul Dixon resulted in a strike from distance which was wide of the target. The game at this point was being played at a very high tempo with Brandon dominating possession and it was not until the 16 minute that Whitehaven had an effort on goal-but did not trouble new signing Alex Seward in the Brandon goal. In the 21st minute Whitehaven created their second attempt at goal and appeared to be coming into the game and having some good possession. The 35th minute saw an ankle injury to Shekoni which resulted in his withdrawal and the introduction of Dan Johnson, but just 3 minutes later Whitehaven should have made more of a good opportunity when, from a difficult angle, unmarked Malcolm Holliday blasted a shot over the bar from around 8 yards out.

Half time 0-0
The second half carried on in the same tempo as the first, but with little incident involving either keeper until the 71st minute when a cross was driven low into the Whitehaven area and Kevin Law was lucky not to direct the ball into his own goal. The 75th minute saw O'Dea latch onto the free ball following a defensive mix-up between Fryer and Carl McGrady but his shot from 6 yards was high over the bar. Whitehaven immediately went up to the other end where a mistake from the Brandon defence allowed David Dustin an effort which hit the top of the bar. There followed a long period of Whitehaven dominance, which was helped by Brandon players giving the ball away cheaply several times. A long ball upfield led to Seward making a good block when coming out of goal to deny Lee Dixon, but the game was won in the 86th minute when a speculative cross into the Brandon area was met at the far post by substitute Stuart Shaw who sent a good header back across goal and into the net. Brandon really applied the pressure in the last few minutes and a number of half chances were created but came to nothing.
Full time 0-1

No comments: